Monday, December 01, 2008

Fancy eating alone?

Ok today’s topic is; Do you like to eat alone? Do I? I did it zillionth of time but still hate it though. Living alone mean I have to eat alone right. At home (my parent’s one), even with so many people around, I eat alone sometimes. But the feeling is different when I ate alone at my own home coz there at my parent’s home, while munching the foods, my siblings would pass by and I can talk to them. But at my own home, I am all alone. During fasting month, the feeling; of eating alone was much more intense.

Eating alone at home is still ok I think but what about in public? Yeah been there, done that too. Some people would say no way he’s/she’s going to eat alone. But I’m not going to starve myself just because there’s no one to eat with me right. When I’m alone, I’ve tried eating at restaurant, stalls and fast food outlet. Guess eating at fast food outlet is much better for at the stalls/restaurant, I felt a bit vulnerable, more self-conscious. It’s like people are looking at you, talking about you, watching at your table manner, everything lah. But I don’t feel that when I ate alone at fast food outlet. In fact I’m enjoying eating alone there for I can see peoples around. Have I told you before that one of the thing that I like to do is looking at peoples? It’s kind of entertaining ok. And sometimes I’m lost on my thought thinking and reflecting on just about anything.

When I was a kid, I always eat alone at home; mostly during weekdays. I would read anything in front of me; the nutrition facts on food packages, the ingredients, anything lah. You know sometimes we would use old newspaper the cover the table? I read that too ok. I even read newspaper used to pack the nasi lemak ok. Sometimes when he stumbled upon me reading while eating, my dad would scold me coz I’m not supposed to do other thing while eating.

And sometimes I would pretend that I’m a monster and the rice is ‘orang kenit’. And the fish would turn into whale coz it’s the biggest fish right. This ‘orang kenit’ would plead me not to eat them. Normally the scene would be like this;

Me (the monster): Hahahah…. I’m hungry… I want to eat you all…

Me (the orang kenit): Help! Help! Don’t eat us. Please…. we’re not guilty… (and I don’t even know they are guilty for what)

Me (the monster): I don’t care. I want to eat all of you. Hmmm big fish… I eat you with this big fish too.

Then I would munch aloud… like monsters do… nyum…nyum…nyum.. My dad would call me crazy coz I talk alone most of the time. Not only while eating ok. I’d love to play this pretending thingy. Bet all of us did too right.

Now that I’ve grown up, I’ve stop pretending to be the monster but I still read while eating. That is when I’m alone of course. Sometimes I would read the same thing again and again and again. I find it stimulating though. But nothing can beat the joy of eating together with family and friend. The food taste so much better right.

So what about you all? Fancy eating alone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i used to eat alone too when i was single. paling sedey masa bulan puasa. when everyone is happy eating with their loved ones, i bukak posa kat opis sorang-sorang.

masa tu, the only positive side yang i nampak was at least tak hectic mcm makan kedai. but still sedey...

Eny Yusof said...

Betul kan Didi. Bulan poselah paling terasa kalo makan sorang.

Bulan pose baru ni, I baru pindah dok sorang-sorang. Sahur sorang, bukak pose pun sorang. Macam syahdu aje....