Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I found my idol at INTAN

Went to INTAN last Friday for PPTD’s Executive Talk and AGM. I was a bit reluctant to go at first but once there, I’m glad I’d make the right choice because I got new idol; Tan Sri Arshad Ayub. This man, at 81 years old is unbelievably fantastic.

There were 3 distinguished speakers that morning and the session were handled greatly by PPTD President, Dato’ Nasir, the KSU of MOH. The 1st speaker was Tan Sri Sallehuddin Mohamed, the President of PPTD-Alumni which is also the ex-KSN. HE got very long list of achievement but I’m sorry to say here, he’s not really good in delivering his speech. He’s more into reading his text; tone-less. There’s nothing inspiring or anything that I gained during his turn.

When Tan Sri Ayub took over the rostrum, I was so in awed of him, right at his 1st sentence ok. His 81 but he speak with full of energy. I’m so amazed with him. His best advice (which is a lot and quite difficult to pick one actually) was “Do what you think is right and do it well”. He didn’t use any text for his speech, it’s more like inpromptu one. I feel connected to him because he joined the service at the age of 30 and he’s the 1st Director of UiTM (formerly known as ITM), my alma mater.

Most of my batchmate is around 24-25 and having immediate bosses a few years younger than I am really makes me feel old and a bit down. I might not be able to reached 54 or even 52 (not as in age but in grade ok) but listening to his speech have changed my view on this matter. As long as I put my best effort and loves my job, all that grade things is nor important. Well I’m not into grade but more with the pay. I wouldn’t mind being in 41 forever if the pay would be raise just like having higher grade.

Anyway, Tan Sri Arshad too was denied a few top post because of his age and he retired also at lower than average grade of his colleague but he’s happy with it and the way I see it, he’s better than the ex-KSN himself. Way much better in delivering his point and sharing his experience. I feel so much relieved then.

The 3rd speaker was Tan Sri (ke Dato’ Sri?) Zainur Ariff, the ex-KP ICU. Of the 3, he’s the worst la. He got slide and what not but I just get what he’s trying to convey. One thing I noticed, he love to prolong a word pronounciation like baaaanyak, seeeeemua, paaaaanjang. And he keep repeating again and again and again like a circle.

During the AGM later that evening, Dato’ Nasir told the audience that Tan Sri Arshad drive himself eventhough he’s fithy rich. The conclusion; Tan Sri Arshad rock! Looking forward to read his bibliography.

When I was in INTAN, they served meals like 5 times a day. But that one whole day I spend there, they only served food twice; some kuih during lunch and sate, kuih and kueh teow for tea time. Since I can’t really eat and I’m alone, I was a bit starving jugak la that evening. 2pc of kuih obviously can’t reduced the hunger pang. For tea, I managed to eat 4pc of sate.

During Friday prayer, I went to the bookshop and managed to read “The Reluctant Politician”, books on Tun Dr. Ismail and “Saya Pun Melayu” by Zaid Ibrahim. Then I walked through the same path I used during DPA, reminiscing the time where with tight lounge suits, court shoes and sweating like mad with bags and stuff chasing the time to punch the card and also to be at the specified place early. Takut STS wooo. I did my Zohor prayer at the Musolla. Then walked back to Auditorium for the AGM. I couldn’t find anyone I know and the new friend I made that morning only came for the talk. So I was alone right till the end.

One thing that brightens up my day (besides listening to Tan Sri Arshad’s speech) was that new friend asked me about my age. When I told her I’m 31, she was like losing words for few seconds. (I’m not making things ok) She said I look pretty young compared to my real age. Hehehe…. I heard that numerous times already but still every time people said it, I feel great. Hehehe….

My new idol with his fantastic speech

Beside him, Tan Sri Salehuddin sharing some thought with Dato' Nasir

In deep thought while reading (he read and did that hands-at-forehead all along that few hour)

The waterfalls beside surau; looks and sounds like the real one

The working committee for 2008-2010

2 comments:

swit@kon said...

saya tidak dapat hadir huhuhu

malam ni pegi tak?

Eny Yusof said...

X pegi la yanti. Lagipun dah tak dan nak cari baju etc. Ko gi tak?