Tuesday, June 02, 2009

My surgery Pt 1-The Prep

I’m back; with lesser teeth and swollen jaw. Hahaha… There’s still pain but its bearable now and I can’t be away from office for too long. Just before I went through with the surgery, I had so much fun over the weekend at Lumut but that will be updated later. Let me start off with what I did to myself last week.

As being scheduled week before, my surgery would be on that morning of May 26th. I had to fast from midnight before so I ate all I can right till 11.30pm. I woke up early hoping to be the 1st patient (gila semangat weh) but when I arrived, there’s already another patient.

After registration, I was given a baggy green ward attire and surgery dress. I look so ugly in that baggy suit and laughing like silly at myself in the changing room. The anaesthetist came and told me about the procedure and the effect of it. They would insert the breathing tube into my nostril and it’ll go down to the throat where they would inflate it. She told me that I would suffer from a sore throat for like 2 days but in reality, I suffered a very painful sore throat for nearly one week. Very painful I tell you.

After some session with the anaesthetist, I was send to the prep room by a nurse. Before that, they asked me my name and showed me a document and asked who signed here and there at the document. The funny thing was, I am actually a healthy patient that can walk by myself but I was made to sit at the wheelchair and was pushed by a heavily pregnant nurse. I pitied her so I asked her whether it’s ok for her to push me but she’s ok with it.

At the prep room, again I was asked what my name is and who signed at the document that they showed me. From the wheelchair, I was transferred to a bed and they pushed me to the OT (operation theatre). This is my 2nd being into OT and it’s really cold in there. They removed the green blouse and loosen the surgery dress, and stick some stuff at my bare chest (like the one you see on TV) to monitor the heart beat etc. Someone asked whether the pants should be removed too but another one replied that since this is a dental surgery, it’s not necessary to do so. What a relief, I do not wish to be naked again although I’m readier this time. Hahaha…. During my 1st surgery, I was naked on the table and it was a male surgeon who performs the procedure. Shame only! But I already unconscious by the time they remove all the clothes so I hardly have time to feel ashamed at that time.

This time I guess everyone were females staff; the surgeon, nurses, anaesthetist. They inserted a long needle at the vein on my right hand and it’s quite painful. It’s my third time but I still hate it every time. Then they put the mask around my mouth and nose, and I have to take deep breath. Breath, breath and I’m gone.
To be continued.....

No comments: