Monday, August 24, 2009

Dramatic weekend

My life is not complete without some dramatic event here and there. I had one of those yesterday. It was quarter to 1pm when I decided to throw the rubbish; a normal task that normally required less than 5 minutes to be done. But my timing yesterday can’t be more perfect coz it seems I took more than 1 hour to get back to my home. And the routine of throwing rubbish task yesterday even included being rescued by the fire and rescue department. Oh my….

I was on the way down when suddenly I heard a loud bang and everything went dark. I was alone then and didn’t bring my phone along. It was so dark I can’t see anything at all. I was a bit shocked but not panic. The training at fire and rescue department really helps me to stay calm in a situation like that. Several minutes passed by when with God-given instinct, I found the emergency button without having to look around for it. I keep pressing it for the longest of time but with no response. I pushed to open the door slightly to ensure enough oxygen coming in. But it was so dark out there (it was a wall actually) and I’m not sure whether there’s a hole or not so I kept myself away from the door, fearing I might fell down.

When I got tired pressing the button, I tried to shout. I shouted 3 times but I guess no one listened. So I keep pressing the button over and over again hoping someone might hear it. I don’t how long I’ve been stuck there when I heard some voice. I tried to shout and they replied back. They asked me whether I’m ok or not and if I know where I am. Told them I’m ok but it was too dark and I’m not sure where I am. Then I heard a lady voice saying some number. I guess they are trying to call for help.

Several more minutes passed when I hear more voices outside. They kept asking whether I am ok or not. I am not until they pull me out to safety but who am I too complaint right. All the while I had to smell the stinking rubbish.

Several more minutes passed when I heard someone asking where I am. I heard the voices coming from the upper level so I told them I’m below them. They pushed the other door and there I saw an orange shoes emerged; the firemen shoes. They were discussing on what to do and I can see few men keep pepping over. Then I heard a voice asking me to stay away from the door. I went back and squat when I felt the lift swaying (they are pulling the lift manually). All the while I keep reciting some prayer.

They managed to pull the lift up and I saw many foot standing outside but the space were still not enough to pull me out. So again they have to pull the lift manually and to do so, they have to climb to the highest level and do it from there. The firemen keep teasing me; they thought I cried but no I am not. I was all the way calm ok. Finally there’s enough space for them and they firemen asked me to stretch my hand to them. I stretch both my hand, they pulled me and at the same time I had to climb the wall with my slippery slippers. Finally I emerged from the dark pit safe and sound.

Fuh there were many peoples outside there watching the rescue operation. All were men except for the lady who make the call. She waited to ensure I am safe. Everyone was praising me; they said I am one strong and brave lady. Hehehe… thanks to firemen who trained us before.

I didn’t manage to thank the firemen who saved me (there are 3 of them) because there are so many people and they just left when their work was done. So here I am taking this opportunity to thank you from the deepest of my heart. I am also very thankful towards the lady and her hubby for calling for helps. Without them I guess I would be stuck in the lift for more longer.

I had to climb the stairs to go home; I live in the 10th storey and I’m fasting some more. I reached home at 2pm, shaking and tired but safe. When I left home earlier, I didn’t put on something important (but I did put on my headscarf) thinking that it was in the middle of the day so no one will come out and see me. Believe me I never did it before and there I am got busted on the first time. But don’t worry, my secret are safe with me. Hehehe….

Anyway be careful on what you wish for, you might just get it. How true is that; I hoped no one would see me and yes no one was around to help me until that lady came to help. And in the end, there were many peoples looking at me. Duh!

What a good way to spend your weekend huh.

1 comment:

swit@kon said...

ala. eny. siannya ko. nasib baik siang hari. kalau malam. if aku, aku da cuak da kot. not because trapped in the lift tapi sebab takut jatuh tersembam. teringat cerita movie. huhu take care babe!