Thursday, November 13, 2008

Rules....rules....rules.....

What’s with rules? Some will say rules are meant to be followed whilst some will say rules are meant to be broken. So which ones are you? I can say I’m more into the first categorise but with some exception. I’ve been labelled rigid, decent, skema and lurus bendul, right from secondary school time from every one; teachers, friends, colleagues and relatives.

During my 6 month stint on a course, there’s all kind of rules, from the good ones to a downright rubbish ones. But I guess I’ve followed everything diligently. There’s some occasion that I bent a little but not too far. Peoples are doing their job and it’s their job to act the act so just follow la kan. At first there might be some grumbles but its end there. Nothing more nothing less. But I’ve seen some who goes all the way from cursing to plainly ignore the rules.

I guess some seek thrills on breaking the rules; even a plain simple ones. Like wearing batik every Thursday or wearing corporate scarf during monthly assembly. These two rules for me are very plain and simple. If you don’t have enough money for the expensive up-to-date batik, then opt for the cheap or even the fake batik. As for the scarf, we even supplied the scarf; you don’t have to pay a single cent for it. So why is it so difficult to wear them then?

If I can have my way dealing with this I think I might die young for peoples will hates me and you can never know the extend people will react when they angry. But then again, it’s not my fault for you are the ones breaking the rules.

In my previous career with Guardian. I’ve faced with this kind of situation too but it seems that the reactions of those in private sector are different from those in public sector. When I joined Guardian, the executive staff can wear anything *in terms of working attire of course* plus a jacket. This jacket is actually a dark blue blazer with orange lining. The non-executive staffs wear the orange blouse with dark blue pants. Later on the management decided that all staff; executive and non-executive must wear the orange blouse with blue pants with a slight different in design to separate between those two. It caused uproar from all executive staff for its kind of downgrading us. We criticize the design; there’s a bow behind that looks like maternity blouse and the orange colour is too bright.

But when the uniform came, say what ever you want but you just have to wear it. The cutting was weird; bigger at some part and tight at some. I have to fork my own money to alter it before it became wearable. And for 2 year, that ugly orange blouse became my baju raya too for I had to work on raya. Apparently wearing uniform is actually a good thing for I don’t have to think on what to wear to work.

So when I entered public sector, imagine my shocked seeing the staff, refused to wear the uniform after all the privileged they got; special tailored uniform of good quality materials and they even get 2 pair of shoes to complete it. And now with this batik and corporate scarf issues.

I guess public sector have issues on controlling it staff despite being the biggest employer. And due to that, those in private sectors has been criticising the public sector staff as being all sort of thing. Sadly, I have to agree with them. The management of human resource in public sectors are lousy enough that it caused problems in every corner.

I can talk about this forever; the time management, the meal break, the bureaucracies, the list goes on and on and on. Let just stop here. Oh before that, a point to ponder: You are here because I kidnap you on the street and forced you to work here or you are here because of your own choice? If you choose to be here; then the rules are meant to be followed. If it pissed you off to follow the rules, then quit and go where you can have everything your way. Ok!

1 comment:

didi said...

hehe..

eny, I had to wear the orange blouse too.. tiap2 sem aku keje guardian, tapi part time la...

perempuan kalau keje kat farmasi sgt bahaya... gaji byk beli barang2 kat dalam tu je... ada2 je barang yg nak beli...lagi2 make up...huhu..

anyway, yeah. rules.

kau jgn marah. kadang2 aku tertinggal tudung korporat aku kat shah alam. so aku pakai la tudung the closest colour to it; dark blue.

ok la tu kan? ada effort gak
(eny jgn marah aku!)