Thursday, April 09, 2009

Gentleman, speak in English

We were chatting on some stuff when I told my mom that I might be going to Langkawi for an international dialogue. It’s an event hosted by our ministry so as usual my department are in-charge of protocol and logistic matters. Those who scored good grades during MUET last year will be selected as liaison officer. Someone told me that I might be one of those.

Mak reaction was;

Oh kene cakap-cakap la tu nanti. Eh reti ke nak cakap Inggeris?

I was like hah? Duh….

Mak ni pandang rendah la kat anak Mak.

Hahaha…. tak de la. Mak tak pernah pun dengar cakap Bahasa Inggeris. Ish Mak bangga kalau anak Mak reti cakap Inggeris ni. Yada..yada…yada…

Yelah nak cakap dengan sape kat umah tu. Bla…bla…bla… Boleh la nak cakap sikit-sikit tapi tak de la macam orang putih tu.

Hahaha… obviously Mak never heard me communicating in English. And I didn’t at home. The least I did was when sometimes I would test Ayum capability in handling that language; in which he did just great.

And yes, my communication skill in English is nothing to be proud of. I can write better than speaking. The only time I think I can speak fluently was years ago when I work in Ampang Park. The daily communication was in English; everyone there speaks in English and the customers mostly were foreigners. Practice make perfect it seems.

Mak told me to practice English with my sibling; especially Mamat and Thalha. How to if in a year, we only met for a few day. Both are now in UUM and we only met during raya or sometimes during semester break.

But Mak is right. I have to talk with my siblings in English to help them. It’s a good practice for everyone. And a good ground to start a joke or teasing each other too. Hahaha…

No comments: