Friday, February 20, 2009

I'll be away again

This Saturday till Tuesday I’ll be away again. This time I’m heading south for Lawatan Ke Kampung Orang Asli under Maal Hijrah programme. It’s a national level event where every Ministry have to send in participant lead by on other than KKLW.

The programme will be held at 4 villages in Johor concurrently. I’ll be going to Kg. Tanah Abang, Mersing. I was informed that we would be staying at the balai raya thus sleeping bag is a must.

I’m quite reluctant to go for a few reasons; mostly of what happen in AKOK. Besides there are too many papers piling up in my desk and datelines of so many others. Hmm that reminds me of the long forgotten updates on AKOK.

When I went for AKOK programme at Pantai Remis last year, I was paired with Pn. Azura and we were given this house to stay. From outside, there’s nothing much about the house, just a typical kampung house. However to my surprise, the bathroom which was at the kitchen did not have door or curtain to cover it. Which mean you can see people taking the bath.

Obviously the main organizer, KEMAS didn’t do follow-up check to houses that offered to be the host. We were pretty exhausted and really needed to clean ourselves but no way will we do it in front of strangers with guys some more.

That night our grumbles to other participant led one thing to another. There’s a lot of suggestion but we can’t just leave that house like that. What will the host feel right. Finally, the Penghulu (if I’m not mistaken) send someone to that house asking them to cover the bathroom. When we went home that night, they were busy hanging some curtains there but it won’t do much. People can still see us. So we end up taking our bath at the toilet outside that fortunately has door on it.

From what I saw, they are not that poor, they even got 29” TV with a car and a van. But I guess modesty is not really an issue there. And I guess that’s also explaining the high cases of incest at rural areas. Seeing a women clad only in sarong covering from the chest to knee surely can stir the lust of even a pious man. It might seem a trivial issue but it’s not for the effect it causes to the wellbeing of the society.

What ever it is, hope that this coming event wouldn’t be that bad. But honestly I’m not so sure myself judging from the meeting yesterday. Why la in the 1st place I agreed to join. Ergh…

No comments: