Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Chef in the making

I’ve been trying to cut my food intake these past few weeks and everything went well until last weekend. On Saturday, I feel like eating spaghetti so after breakfast, I started to prepare the ingredients. I’ve cooked spaghetti numerous times before but it’s always for the whole family or at least for 4 to 5 person thus I didn’t know how to cook it in a small portion.

So I invited Shikin to come over for lunch. I invited En. Afnan, En. Nasrol and Sal too but everyone can’t make it. I invited Fad too and she came (actually I pick her up) after Shikin left my place; Shikin can’t stay long coz she’s leaving for Sabah that evening. She likes my spaghetti so much (thank you) that she wanted some as her in-flight meal. So there’s only half left.

Luckily I invited Fad; pemakan yang hebat! I already had my lunch with Shikin and yet when Fad came, I eat again; spaghetti and one full mug of ice-cream. My tummy was so full its hurt. Fad had ice-cream too and she tops it up with cookies. Man, she really can eat! That evening she ate more ice-cream and cookies. For dinner we finished off the leftover of that spaghetti (not so much left) and she continues with another round of ice-cream and cookies.

I managed to persuade Fad to sleep over at my place. Hehehe… she actually wanted to watch some drama that night but I bribe her with some DVD. And yes we had dinner at my large balcony, looking at the star, the airplanes (you can actually see KLIA runaway with all the pretty light from my home) and of course the lake and the surrounding area.

On Sunday, we had breakfast at noon; had to wait for Fad to wake up before going to market to get some cooking ingredients. She planned to cook chicken asam pedas. I was seriously hungry by then. It was nearly 11am; I always had my breakfast around 8am. But I didn’t know what struck me, didn’t buy anything for breakfast instead I bought some ingredients and I cooked fried noodles for our brunch. Alhamdulillah both my weekend cooking turned out to be pretty delicious (ops sori bakul bocor); it was my first attempt cooking fried noodles for others. Fad kept on complimenting my cooking that she herself quite anxious to cook the asam pedas; afraid that it might not turn up as good as mine. Hehehe…

Her asam pedas was edible but there’s something missing. Not sure what it was. We had very late lunch, around 4pm just before Dayah came and took us to Mydin and Alamanda. She sent me home around 7pm. Well that was all on my weekend.

I used to hate cooking and there are only few dishes that I can cook but since I live on my own, my desire to cook increases especially on pasta’s recipe. But to cook and to eat alone is no fun; got to invite some friend who wouldn’t mind the fact of me not having any entertainment thingy (TV, radio) around to come over for cooking-eating session.

I’m aiming a cooking book (terkejut tak on my drastic change? I myself also) on pasta but my deficit budget wouldn’t allow me to buy it now. Until then, if anyone got some simple pasta recipe to share, I would be very delighted.

No comments: